Saturday 18 February 2012

Day 1: Departure Day


Day 1: 12/02/12 – Departure Day

Today we headed off on our adventures to Zambia. I left Edinburgh on the 1pm flight to Heathrow and met up with the group at 3pm in Heathrow Terminal 5. I was lucky enough to bump into the one and only Geordie duo, Ant and Dec at baggage reclaim. Of course I asked them for a photo and told them all about my impending trip.

We were put into two groups of six today to make the group easier to manage and also given a buddy to make sure we all get to where we need to be. Michelle Junno from WaterAid has the responsibility of looking after our group, she seems very nice.

Flight to Africa – Passing the time

We’re about 3 hours into our flight to Lusaka now and the turbulence has just kicked in, just as I was nodding off! I’m sitting with Jody Knight, an Asset Planner from Wessex Water and Kevin Buck, the WaterAid Chairman and head of the CSR for Southern Water. Kevin has an MBE for his services to WaterAid, helping to raise over £11m through his WaterAid committee, amazing effort.

My initial nerves seem to have subsided now that we’re together as a group and on our way. The reality of the trip has now hit home and I feel very lucky to be getting this experience and will make sure I make the most of every second so I can come back and give even more support to WaterAid. It’s great getting the chance to spend time with others who are just as passionate about WaterAid as I am. It’s going to be a great 8 days.

P.S. Zambia are in the final o the African Cup of Nations as I’m writing this so we’re all hoping they lift the cup so we arrive in a jubilant country. Matt Armitage from Yorkshire Water has even purchased a Zambian scarf from E-bay in preparation for the trip and to show the country his support. Here’s hoping they pull it off.

06:30 Local Time (13/03/12)

We’ve just touched down in Lusaka to the news that Zambia won the final on penalties. The plane erupted into applause and cheers when it was announced over the PA system, fantastic news.

I couldn’t have predicted this, just after I finished writing the above the plane had to grind to a halt on the runway and turn off it’s engines as hundreds of locals surrounded the plane and started banging o the sides thinking that the Zambia team were on board, amazing scenes. Airport security is just trying to clear the crowds so we can disembark.

What an interesting start to the trip and a great time to be in Zambia!



No comments:

Post a Comment